Do I need an ACVR Specialist?

  • Advances in animal health care have led to a wider variety of highly specialiized imaging procedures using radiology, ultrasound (US), computed tomography (CT), nuclear medicine (NM), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). In addition, highly sophisticated radiation oncology procedures are utilized to treat cancer.
  • American College of Veterinary Radiology (ACVR) board certified radiologists spend at least three years after achieving their veterinary medical degree (DVM or VMD) focusing strictly on the application of these imaging modalities to diagnosis. ACVR radiation oncologists spend at least 2 additional years after their veterinary medical degree (DVM or VMD) in radiation oncology training to become board certified. Some ACVR Diplomates are dual boarded in both Radiology (Diagnostic Imaging) and Radiation Oncology (Radiation Therapy).
  • The concentrated training in radiology and/or radiation oncology allows the ACVR Veterinary Radiologist or Radiation Oncologist to keep current with frequent advances in noninvasive diagnostic imaging and radiotherapy procedures.
  • Ask your veterinarian if the imaging or radiotherapy procedures require a specialist. See Important Questions to Ask your Veterinarian.