Veterinary Imaging or Radiation Oncology Technologist

How do I become a veterinary imaging technologist?

  • Licensing for veterinary technologists is under the jurisdiction of each state. The requirements may vary from state to state and ideally you should consult with the radiology and ultrasound techs at a veterinary school in your state or at a large veterinary practice near you. See Approved Veterinary Radiology Residency Training Programs where you will find veterinary imaging techs. The techs should be able to help you with the requirements. Your state may also have a Registered Veterinary Technicians Association. For example, here is the RVTA for California. Also see Job Profile: Veterinary Technician and the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) for additional information.
  • Most veterinary imaging technologists first become registered veterinary technologists (RVTs). Contact your state's Veterinary Medical Board for the requirements. In general, you must be a graduate of an American Veterinary Medical Association Accredited Veterinary Technology Program, have passed the Veterinary Technician National Exam, and have passed a state exam. General knowledge of animal medical care is needed to perform and assist in more complex procedures assoicated with veterinary imaging. See Veterinary Radiology Technicain - Vet Xray Tech for more information.
  • To become a veterinary imaging technologist, you need to work at a School of Veterinary Medicine or large veterinary practice to learn how to use radiographic, ultrasound, CT and MRI equipment from the veterinarian and other technologists. Ideally the practice should employ or consult with an American College of Veterinary Radiology (ACVR) board-certified radiologist. Also you should attend radiology, ultrasound, CT and MRI continuing education seminars and classes. Once trained, you may be asked to help perform radiographic, ultrasound, CT, and MRI examinations on animals under the supervision of a veterinarian and/or an ACVR board-cetiified radiologist..
  • The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) announced the 16th specialty academy for veterinary technicians, the Academy of Veterinary Technicians in Diagnostic Imaging. The AVTDI comprises veterinary technicians dedicated to performing a higher level of modalities in veterinary diagnostic imaging such as digital radiography, fluoroscopic special procedures, CT, MRI, ultrasonography, and nuclear imaging. READ MORE

How do I become a veterinary radiation oncology technologist?

  • Most veterinary radiation oncology technologists first become registered veterinary technologists as described above.
  • To obtain further training as a veterinary radiation oncology technologist, you must work at a facility that specializes in veterinary radiation oncology (radiation therapy) under the direct supervision of an American College of Veterinary Radiology (ACVR) board-certified radiation oncologist. You should consult with the radiation oncology techs at a School of Veterinary Medicine in your state to help you with the requirements and to locate a facility.
  • Facilities that employ veterinary radiation oncology technologists include those that have Veterinary Radiation Oncology Residency Training Programs since this is where veterinarians are trained to become ACVR board-certified radiation oncologists. There are also a number of private veterinary radiation oncology practices that train radiation oncologists and employ radiation oncology technologists as well.
  • Radiation Oncology Technician Specialty - A number of licensed/certified veterinary technicians are looking into starting a technician specialty group for radiation oncology. This process is just in the initial phases, but the group is interested in moving forward. If any of your radiation oncology technicians are interested in potentially taking part in this process please e-mail Dr. John Farrelly at [email protected] for more details.